Some time ago I found myself having to cook for only A and me, so with much excitement and enthusiasm I decided to do a one dish meal by pan frying chicken thighs. I followed this recipe and it turned out pretty wonderful! The cooking time was long but it actually gave me time to lounge around instead of hovering over the pan in the kitchen.
I served this up with a modified version of this side dish (substituted bacon with pork slices and corn with mixed beans) and dinner was ready!
I really do relish in trying out non-Chinese style recipes, though those opportunities are few and far between.
I told the MIL that I was going to cook dinner, and she replied that there’s still tofu in the fridge. That’s when I realised I’ve been “cooking” tofu way too often because it is the most idiot proof and least time consuming dish to serve.
So I took it upon myself to try steaming an egg again. My last try failed quite badly because I only had water to mix with the egg. This time I found a packet of chicken stock, so I added the packet to 2 beaten eggs, sieved the mixture a couple of times, and then steamed for 15 minutes.
The results were AMAZING! I had silky smooth steamed eggs with tofu texture and it actually tasted quite good! A was disappointed that there was nothing underneath the egg though – he was expecting minced pork or something. I’ll try that next time. But hey, at least I don’t have to prepare tofu all the time anymore.
Some random thoughts as I navigate through our intricate MRT and LRT connections:
- (at the LRT station) STAIRS AGAIN. I can wait for the lift. But I don’t have a visible reason to wait for the lift. People will judge. Stairs it is.
- (at the LRT station) I await for the time I can push the turnstile using my belly.
- (while taking the stairs) I’m going to die from breathlessness, or someone’s going to push me and I’ll tumble down and break my neck.
- (in the LRT) Probably not the best mode of transport for a pregnant lady.
- (in the train) WHERE ARE THE HAND RAILS I NEED TO HOLD ON TO THE HAND RAILS.
- (in the train) WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PEOPLE ON THE TRAIN AT 3PM IN THE AFTERNOON.
- (in the train) Stop pushing me my husband will dig out your eyes if he was here!
- (still in the train) I hate my husband.