Ok let’s just admit that engagement rings serve no real purpose besides accessorising and showing off. Any two persons can get married without being engaged, hence this whole thing is just a Western tradition that we imported, seemingly just for the fun of it. It’s bad enough that we adopted this “tradition”, but Singaporeans decided to go ahead to dumb it down even further with the stipulation that the engagement ring has to be 3 times of the man’s salary!
So assuming the groom to be is an average joe drawing a decent salary of $3,000. The ring will have to cost at least $9,000! Here’s what $9,000 can buy you:
- 3 27″ iMac with Retina 5K display
- 7 pairs of Christian Louboutin pumps
- 3% of a $300,000 housing loan
- Trip to Japan for 2, inclusive of lodging and food, and with change to spare
- 1,500 McDonald’s hotcake meals
So to spend that amount on a rock is just… I can’t even find the right word to describe it. Absolutely wasteful comes to mind. But I suppose it’s none of my business after all.